Deployed, by Nicola Smith and Samantha Lazar, premiered March 30, 2019, at the VA Medical Center in White River Junction, Vt., and Northern Stage, White River Junction. A play that draws on interviews with female veterans who served in peace time and in war, from Vietnam through Iraq and Afghanistan. It focuses on issues of patriotism, pride in service, sexual harassment, military sexual trauma, motherhood, and resilience.
Nicola Smith will speak about Deployed on May 16, 2019, at the Grafton Inn, Grafton, Vt., as part of the Vermont Arts Council’s two-day conference on A New Look at the Power of the Arts and Humanities in Vermont Today. The time is 11:30 a.m.-12:15 p.m. Sponsored by the Windham Foundation.
- Women Vets Take Center Stage in New Upper Valley Play ‘Deployed’ – Seven Days
- Female Veterans From New England Tell Their Stories In ‘Deployed’ – New England Public Radio
- Female Veterans Book Group Inspires Deployed Play – Vermont Humanities Council
- Women’s Military Experience to Take Center Stage in Upper Valley Play This Weekend – New Hampshire Public Radio
- Playwrights tell stories from female veterans – Valley News
- Theater Preview: Voices of Women Veterans on Northern Stage – The Arts Fuse
- ‘Deployed’ by Nicola Smith Premieres On March 30 at VA Medical Center – Daily UV